Saturday, April 17, 2010

cupcakes and pastors

This morning we met with our new pastor. This one is great! On the 27th we meet with the pastor who will doing our counseling. If he's as nice as Jim (the one who will be marrying us today) then we are good to go! Tomorrow, Jon is going to call the first pastor (mr wacko pants) and tell him thanks but no thanks.

We got back and took a nap. I was bushed! Plus Jon kept telling me I was being a grump so I thought, sure I'll nap. When we woke up we had a some dinner (just a boxed meal nothing spec) and Jon is playing a new game he got. I am attempting my first cupcakes and icing from scratch! I am using the recipe I found for orange cupcakes on http://chelsea-rebecca.blogspot.com/ (see recipe below). Now we are just going to hang out and maybe watch some Weekend at Bernies.

ORANGE CUPCAKES

1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp grated orange zest
3 tbsp butter {only 3 tbsp. of butter!? you're basically eating fruit!}
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
squeeze half of orange into batter for extra yumness
ORANGE frosting {to die for. best icing hand down!}
2 cups confectioners' sugar
5 tbsp butter
2 tbsp orange zest
juice from orange {as much as you want}
2 tbsp whole milk
preheat oven to 325 F. Beat flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, and butter in mixer on slow speed. gradually pour in the milk and beat till just incorporated. add egg and continue beating. continue mixing for a couple minutes until batter is smooth. spoon batter into baking cups until 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes.
lemon frosting: beat together confectioners' sugar, butter, and orange zest on medium slow speed. slowly pour in the milk on a slow speed and gradually turn the mixer up to high speed. continue beating for 5 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.

They turned out pretty good! I think I need a bit more practice before they're ready for guests, but I liked them! I didn't realize how difficult baking from scratch is! Sarah needs some practice, but I'll get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment