Sunday, May 25, 2014

Homemade Baby Food

We make our own baby food.  Pretty much because it's cheaper, but I also like that Linus is getting (mostly) fresh foods.  I tend to set a weekend and make a ton of baby food at once that should last us about a month and a half.   It's a lot easier for me to cook ahead so I don't have to spend time at night after work making his food.  I steam anything that needs cooked and use the water from the pot that has juice drippings from the veggies/fruits as they steam as the liquid to thin them as I puree them.  It's easy peasy! I know there are a lot of guidelines as to what fruits and veggies to feed babies at what age, but I follow those very loosely.  The only exceptions are if the food is highly allergenic such as strawberries, nuts, honey, etc.  Those he will not get until he's a year old.

We give Linus a new food every Saturday.  We serve it to him once or twice by itself to get him used to the taste, then we mix it with other foods he's already been eating.  That way if he happens to have a reaction to a food, we know which food it is.  He also gets cereal at every meal.  Yep, my baby gets three course meals, lol!  We've been really lucky because Linus loves everything he tries!  He's had no negative reactions with the exception of bananas, which constipate him a little and peas which give him a rash.

We use the Baby Bullet for pureeing his food.  I really love it as it is so easy to use and comes with a freezer tray and a tray to use in the fridge.  The freezer tray is nice to make 2 ounce servings of staple foods in like sweet potatoes and apples.  I also like to use it to make 2 flavors together!  I just fill the bottom with one flavor and then top it with another!  




I like to freeze most of his food in these Tovolo Perfect Ice Cube Trays.  They make one ounce servings and because of the cube shape, they stack nicely for storage in the freezer!
For a few foods that we consider add-ins for flavor (blueberries/plums/mangos) because they are a little pricier and you have to buy a lot to make a little, we use this OXO Tot Baby Food Freezer Tray.  It also makes 1 ounce servings, but they don't stack because they are half moon shaped.  They work great for foods you will use less and have smaller amounts of.


No comments:

Post a Comment